Noland Fontaine, was the second owner of the mansion. Noland came to Memphis in 1861 and quickly established himself as a businessman and a Cotton Factor of the very prominent company The High Cotton House of Hill, Fontaine & Co. It was the largest inland cotton and grocery factor business in the United States and the third largest in the world! The Fontaines lived in the home for 46 years until Mrs. Fontaine’s death in 1928. In 1929, the estate was sold for $25,000.00 with the intention of becoming an antique shop; however, that venture was never realized. The house was subsequently sold to Rosa Lee for the purpose of expanding her Free Art School. The art school moved to Overton Park in 1959, and the house remained vacant until 1961, when the Association for Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities saved the mansion through a public fund.